Monday, September 21, 2009

Wellness #42

1. I tried out the symptom checker on the Mayo Clinic website and I choose “foot pain” as my symptom. It then asked me to state the specific location of the pain and I checked the “middle part of foot.” It was triggered by “injury” and accompanied by “inability to bear weight.” The results that the site gave me were either a broken foot or flat feet. The results were not very accurate, because I don’t have either of those problems. Perhaps if the site had more “accompanied by” symptoms, such as pain felt when area is pressed or pain when walking, my results would have been more accurate. The bottom part of my right foot has been hurting me for a few months now. The pain came after an incident where I was wearing high heels and my foot slipped out of the heel. My foot twisted to the side and half of it was hanging onto the floor. I think that the side of the heel bruised the middle part of my foot, so this is why I have the pain. It feels better after I massage the area, but the pain is still there. I probably need to visit a podiatrist if the pain does not go away, because there might be swelling deep inside my foot that I do not know about.

2. I visited Medline Plus and searched the doctor finder in Texas. The site took me to the Texas Medical Board website and I found two OBGYN’s under my zip code search. I want to find a doctor that is close to my house, because my regular doctor is 40 minutes away from. I think I will visit Dr. Maricela Cantu, who is 10 minutes from my house.

3. I created a sample family medical history tree using the My Family Health Portrait from the Surgeon General. The site asked me my name, DOB, and it wanted me to list any diseases that I may have or had in the past. Next step was to state how many brother’s and sister’s that I had and how many uncles and aunts from both my mother’s and father’s side. It then created the tree for me and automatically included my grandmother’s and grandfather’s. I think this tree could be a useful addition to a genealogy study, because you can track down a specific disease that has been passed on from generation to generation.

No comments: