Monday, March 30, 2009

Pot Luck #57 - Texting


I am very familiar with sending text messages on my cell phone, I have been doing so for many years. I send about 2-3 text messages a day. If I am very busy and do not have time to chat on the phone with somebody, but I need to ask them a quick question, I just send them a text message. I am usually busy after work once I get home, because I have my routine where I cook dinner, eat, shower, then watch a dating game show and soap opera in the evening. I don't like being interrupted while doing any of those daily activities, so texting is a life saver. I visited the Lingo 2 Word website and it was very cool. I typed in "where are you" and it was translated to the text lingo "u@"; "how are you" was converted to "HRU"; "call me" was "911", which I do not agree with, because I don't want people thinking that I have an emergency, if I don't actually have one. I read the New York Times article on texting and driving and it discussed how dangerous this combination can be. There has been an increase in accidents over time, because people are distracted by texting and driving at the same time, sometimes it is even deadly. It also stated that a group representing emergency room doctors send out a warning in July against this dangerous combination, citing an increase in injuries and deaths in emergency rooms across the country.

No comments: