Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Books, Readers, and Beyond- #53 Finding Books Online


1. These are the three booksellers that are the closest to my job, which I found by doing a Google search: Major Books Incorporated (7205 Fannin), Inner Harmony Books (2616 S Loop W #602), & Brazos Bookstore (2421 Bissonnet). The only bookstore that had a website was the Brazos Bookstore. They do have an online presence, because their website is very organized. It looks similar to a public library’s website, since they include a search feature that allows customers to search for a specific book in their collection. They also have updates on author appearances and upcoming events.

2. I found The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks for sale at the Brazos Bookstore. The HBK sells for $20.00, the Mass Market PBK for $7.99, the Trade PBK for $13.99, and they do have an audio version (CD) for $14.98.

3. I downloaded an e-book from the planetpdf.com website. The book was called Vanity Fair and it contained 1,396 pages. This was my first time downloading and reading an e-book, and it was quite a challenge. First, I tried downloading an e-book from the HCPL website, but I couldn’t do it from my computer (our computers are not set up to do this), so I ventured over to the planetpdf.com website. Reading an e-book from the computer is very different from holding an actual print copy. It doesn’t have that curl in your couch with a warm blanket and good book feel. It feels more like reading a very long document and I know my eyes will get tired faster from staring at the computer screen for so long. I do like the fact that you can download an e-book from a computer whenever you want though, especially if you are bored and don’t have a print book at hand.

No comments: